We can help with priority debts and will also look at less common debt options.
Priorty Debt Include
- Mortgage, secured loan or rent arrears. If you don’t pay these, you could lose your home
- Utility debts such as gas and electricity arrears. If you don’t pay these, you can have your supply disconnected
- Council tax arrears. If you don’t pay these, the local authority can go to court and get a summary warrant to enforce the debt
- Court fines such as fines for driving offences. If you don’t pay these, the creditor can get a court order to arrest your wages or freeze your bank account. If, after this, you still have unpaid arrears, you can be sent to prison
- Arrears of maintenance payable to an ex-partner or children. This includes Child maintenance you owe to the Child Support Agency or Child Maintenance Service. If you don’t pay this, the creditor can get a court order to arrest your wages or your bank account. If, after this, you still have unpaid arrears, you can be sent to prison
- Income tax or VAT arrears. You can be sent to prison for non-payment of income tax or VAT
- TV licence or TV licence arrears. It’s a criminal offence to use a television without a licence. You could be fined.
The Debt Counsellors can negotiate repayment arrangements on your behalf with your priority creditors.
Other debt options:
Debt write off:
In certain circumstances it may be possible to ask your unsecured, non priority creditors to write off your debts.
Normally, your circumstances will need to be exceptional and unlikely to improve, for example because you have a terminal illness.
Moratorium on your repayments: If you cannot afford to pay your non priority creditors even a small monthly sum, we can help you negotiate a complete moratorium on payments.
This means that we can ask your creditors to accept that they will not receive any repayment for a set period. This is sometimes called a Nil offer.
Token Payments: If you only have a very small amount to offer your non priority creditors, for example £1 per month per creditor we can negotiate with your creditors on your behalf to put in place a token payment arrangement to your non priority debts.
We understand that everyone’s debt problems and personal circumstances are different but whatever your situation The Debt Counsellors will try to find the right solutions for you.